Tuesday, September 4, 2012

On hope.

What a ride being a Mets fan is. Two weeks ago we dropped a series to the Rockies and I pretty much wrote the team off as quitters, two weeks later we win a few series and all of a sudden I find myself spending my days contemplating improbable September wild card scenarios. I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan and readers of this blog will know that I heavily favor statistics and historical context in my analysis but at the end of the day we are all just fans who get mad when our team loses and irrationally exuberant when we win. As much as I love sabrmetrics, baseball teams aren't quarterly earnings reports. When the Mets lose, I get mad. All that is to say that I am believing the Mets can make a playoff run. Despite the numbers and the history and the shame this post will bring me when reread in October, I think they can do it.

It isn't unreasonable to think that every Dickey start between now and the end of the season will be a win. Nor is it crazy to believe that Niese and Big Bad Harv can keep up the consistent seasons they have been having. And the bullpen? Lo the bullpen that once spelt nothing but doom for us have been surprisingly consistent, pulling a 2.43 ERA over the last two weeks. Let's not forgot that David Wright is third best player in baseball, Ike Davis is a 25 home run hitter and Ruben Tejada might finish the year over .300. Kelly Shoppach and Josh Thole have combined Voltron style into one catcher who can hit from both sides of the plate. This is team that can go places. They might not, they might fail, statistically it is all but certain. But in that 1 percentage point where hope still exists is where September basic magic lives. It's what gives hope to fans of 65 win teams on September 4th, it's what makes me believe in these Mets, its what makes believe that September is a time for heroes and that Mets might just have a few.

 Say it loud, I'm and homer and proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment