Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Revisiting Yahoo's fantasy baseball rankings of the Mets


At about 10 o'clock on October 3rd I let out a sigh of relief, fantasy baseball was finally over. In my professional life I work on political campaigns and I can generally say that fantasy baseball stresses me out more than running for office does. I was in four leagues this year, I won two, (including Super Baseball 5000 which has come to mean the most) came in third in another and 15th in the fourth. The team that came in third was in my opinion the finest drafted team I have ever made but sadly they couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

Earlier in the year we examined how Yahoo fantasy baseball, which I use for all my leagues, ranks the Mets. The table below shows the Mets and what their ranks were: O-Rank  represents yahoo's projection for the player factoring in past performance while Rank shows how they finished up 2012. (Note:Rank is separate for hitters and pitchers, so Wright is not the 27th best player but the 27th best position player)


Pitchers

Name
O-Rank
Rank
Dickey
265
5
Niese
269
105
Santana
230
531
Gee
471
347
Harvey
417
272
Francisco
189
448
Rauch
419
291
Parnell
384
222

Hitters

Name
O-Rank
Rank
Thole
1124
1144
Davis
115
187
Murphy
282
231
Tejada
318
813
Wright
31
27
Bay
211
1110
Duda
162
718
Torres
961
920

The thing that makes me happiest here is Dickey's final rank of fifth. I have been saying since last year that Dickey is a top 25 pitcher and it bothered me that his pre season rank was in the 200's. But look at him now, sweet, sweet vindication. Overall 9 Mets improved their rankings on the year. Wright didn't move up very far since he was ranked higher than he should have to begin with. The biggest jump was predictably Jason Bay who dropped 899 spots. Frankly Bay should never have been ranked 211 in the first place but he definitely deserves the drop.

I can't quite figure why Tejada had such a drop since he actually had a great year and certainly a better year than he was expected to have. I was also pleased to see Niese almost crack the top 100, the only bad thing about the Dickey dominance is that no one really paid attention to a brilliant year by Niese. The overall theme of this list is that most everyone who had a reasonable ranking in the first place generally ended with one. You see the biggest jumps with guys like Frank Frank and Santana who were ranked too high to begin with. The worst part of all this? Dickey won't be the same awesome value he has been the last two years. I drafted Dickey last two years ago and in the later rounds in every league this year. Next year he will easily be a top 20 guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment