Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The last day of baseball

I often talk on this blog about how the A's are my second favorite baseball season, they are going into tonight    tied for the AL west lead in a season where they were considered to be one of the worst teams in baseball. You would think I would be pretty excited and to some degree I am but more than anything I just keep wishing it was the Mets. As much as I enjoy A's baseball it is nothing in comparison to Mets fandom. The fact that another team who was supposed to go nowhere ended up in the playoffs just makes it all the more awful that the Mets ended up exactly where we all thought they would.

Frankly, I am excited for this season to be over. I miss baseball when it's gone and I am excited for the new playoff format but the real fun begins tomorrow when we will have a full season of Mets data to pour over. For stat geeks the day the regular season ends is the day a new season begins. A season of number crunching, player comparing and historical season ranking. The Mets had a lot of highs and lows this year. A 20 game winner, a 30 home run hitter and a new all time hits leader. In the coming months we will be able to see what other records were set, how good we were compared to other Mets teams and answer the most burning question of all, just how good is R.A. Dickey?

One thing I am happy is ending is the fantasy baseball season. I played in four leagues this year and it was basically like having a second job. I am proud to report that I won two (including Super Baseball 5000) and placed third in another. The amount of time and mental energy I put into fantasy baseball is just totally unreasonable, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tonight is the final game of the season against the Marlins and I will be watching. While the Oakland A's fight for first place and the Presidential candidates debate, I will be tuned into the most important event of all, game 162. Mets and Marlins...LGM.

No comments:

Post a Comment