Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gettin' to know Omar Quintanilla

Today the Mets signed free agent middle infielder Omar Quintanilla. As per usual, I am not quite sure why based on his stats but I assume the front office knows something I don't. He was a first round draft pick in 2003 by the A's. Both the A's and the current Mets front office have a good eye for hidden talent so I am assuming this guy has something going for him that the numbers don't show. Just for comedy sake, let's take a look at his numbers.

Omar is entering his age 30 season and did a 50 game suspension last year for testing positive for a PED. In 2011 he went 1 for 22, in case you are wondering that is a BA of .045 and an an OPS plus of -55. I have actually never seen a negative of OPS + so he has that going for him. He has never played a full season, the closest he came was 81 games in 2008 where he posted a .238 BA and played a serviceable if not above average defense at 2b (UZR 1.1). His career WAR is -.04 which is, you know, not promising.

However I will say about young Omar what I say about every low end guy the Mets sign. R.A. Dickey was once a laughably bad signing that no one thought would ever make the team and look how good that turned out...

1 comment:

  1. Quinty (as he will soon be known as) will hit .330 with 18hr's, 97 runs scored and 22 steals

    ReplyDelete