Friday, June 29, 2012

Young man take a look at your life

Nice win last night. The Dodgers without Kemp and without even Andre Ethier are really a pretty stagnant team. Chris Young looked great last night and is appearing to be a strong back end guy for us, let's take a quick look at his stats:

Year
IP
ERA
xFIP
k/9
bb/9
WHIP
2012
30
3.30
5.31
5.4
2.40
1.4
2011
24
1.88
4.73
8.25
4.13
0.96
Best year (2005)
164.2
4.26
4.37
7.49
2.46
1.26
Career
Avg of 89.4
3.72
4.68
7.44
3.51
1.21

Man, I kind of wish I hadn't done this. These numbers are not at all encouraging. I am willing to admit that maybe I am not a savvy enough analyst to explain his success based on these numbers because all I see here is a guy who is set blow up at any minute. While he has posted several low ERA's his xFIP is generally sky high, making it seem like he may been have the recipient of some good luck and some good fielding. His strikeout numbers are OK but his walk numbers are way to high and coupled together do not paint a pretty picture.

That being said, he a 5th starter for us. He hasn't given me reason to worry yet except for the injury woes, his stats scare me a bit but I will keep on believing until he gives me a reason not to.

4 comments:

  1. Nice going with the pitching posts!

    I am concerned with Young (can he stay healthy?) and would rather have him in the bullpen ideally but he is smart and beating the odds.

    Now please write a post about Duda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For right now he is the best bet we got for the 5th spot and he has been good so far, his numbers just make me fear it cant last.

    Look for a Duda write up Monday!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that 05 was his best year. He was much better with the pads from 06-08(ERA all under 4 those years)

    I think there are certain people who just put up good numbers despite their "bad secondary numbers"(i forget exactly which stat but i'm thinking about the one with matt cain).

    Personally i like what i have seen from young when he is healthy. He has been remarkably consistant in his 5 starts this year(2ER in 4 starts and 3ER in 1 start) while providing 5-7IP. It does ffeel like he might blow up anytime but i actually feel more confident with young from start to start than i do with gee sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Young seems to get alot of popouts because of deception. That could be why he survives without strikeouts.

    Could the walks be to guys he is afraid will hit a homerun? (unintentionally intentional) His control seems good generally.

    ReplyDelete