Monday, August 20, 2012

The Mets get a break.

I started writing this blog in November of last year in the middle of a Mets off-season in which basically nothing happened or at least nothing positive. Despite that I still found things to write about, now in the August with actual baseball being played, I find it more and more difficult to blog about the Mets. Is their anything more meaningless than mid-August baseball of a team that probably won't make the playoffs. I stopped even being upset when the team loses, we dropped a series to the Nats, who cares? I fell like Bob Uecker at the beginning of Major League (or Major League 2). This is not to say that I am going to stop writing, just letting you know it's really hard.

Today is the start of our 13 game "easy stretch" that we have been waiting for. I for one am excited. I made a pre-season bet that the Mets would exceed 72.5 wins and a good showing here could really help push me closer to winning comfortably. Here is what scares me though, it's not so much an easy stretch as it is an equality stretch. Let's look at the teams records we face in the next 13 games:

Club
Wins
Losses
Astros
39
83
Rockies
46
73
Marlins
55
67
Phillies
56
65
Mets
57
64

The Mets are the winningest of the bunch but I am afraid we can longer call games against the Marlins or Sillies easy anymore. The Marlins shellacked us in our last series and our records are all close enough as to be ostensibly the exact same. My prediction for the stretch: 10-3 (sweep the Astros and Sillies, take 3 from the Rockies, drop 2 to Miami).

No comments:

Post a Comment