Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mets ditch the black and my picks for the what they should be wearing.

The Mets showed off the new team uniforms today at their 50th anniversary press conference. The big changes are dropping the black shadow behind the team name and bringing the cream colored pinstriped unis into regular rotation. The BEST news is that they will not wear the black hats at all and the black jerseys will be alternate road uniforms only. This is great news in my opinion, as it is a clear step towards finally eliminating the black jersey forever. I liked the black for a season or two when they were first started but it's gotten old and I just want the original colors back now. I am sure this will bring great joy to Howie Rose, longtime vocal critic of the black unis. A few months ago espn.com ran a great article about the history of the black unifrom, which you can read here.

That being said I would have rather have seen the following three jerseys enter the rotation:

1) The blue and orange "Los Mets" jersey.

The Mets will be wearing this for BP this year. I would love for this to be the everyday uni, my favorite by far.

2) The mid 80's jersey.

Why do I feel like I am the only one clamoring for the return of this jersey? It seems like such a  logical choice, they look great and they are iconic of a time when the franchise was great. Man do I miss that stripe.

3) Anyone else remember the wonderful disaster that was "turn forward the clock day"


How much more intimidating can it get than seeing D Wright in the Mercury jersey playing 3rd quadrant? It's a baseball team...from space. What more do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment