Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mets ownership kind of depressing

What else can be said that hasn't already been written about today's NY Times Piece highlighting the benefits package the Wilpons are offering for 20 million dollar 4% ownership stakes. Just a few thoughts on some of the perks:

1) Access to Mr. Met- You know, anyone can do this, it's right here on the Mets website. It costs $500 an hour, which is a significant saving on, say, 20 million.

2) The owners business card- This is just stupid. Not that it wouldn't be cool to have a business card indicating you own the Mets but the fact this is considered a perk is ridiculous. First of all, it's not true and you aren't fooling anyone, you own a 4% non voting stake in the club, the term "owner" is less than accurate. Secondly, this is a selling point? Something I can get at kinkos is going to make we want to invest 20 million dollars? This combined with Mr. Met access brings the net value of my investment to $507.

3) My favorite by far, from section XII- "Access to purchase tickets to postseason games". What?! You are telling me I own the god damn team and I have to buy play off tickets? Isn't this a power I can get by just being a season ticket holder, or using stubhub? For 20 million dollars I want enough season tickets that I can fill a room with tickets and swim in them like Scrooge McDuck.

Basically this is like the scam stock offering the Green Bay Packers offer fans for $250 where they get nothing in return but get to feel like they have a stake in the team, the main difference being one is 19,999,750 dollars cheaper. The worst part of it all, if I had 20 million dollars this is the first thing I would spend it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment